Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

Good to go!

I finally got my stitches out!  Wahoo!!  I can take showers again, but still need to keep the incisions covered and dry until the scabs fall off.  The Dr. said the x-rays looked good and the incisions looked good, so I am good to go.  I went back to physical therapy yesterday and the therapist noted I had better flexibility without the screws and I didn't seem to lose any strength or anything during my 2 week recovery.  I'm having a bit of pain, but nothing stopping me from walking quite a bit yesterday.  All is well.

I go back to the Dr. in October.  He said to bring my orthodics to evaluate if I should wear them or need new ones.  I'm nervous about my right foot now.  I would think it would need support to prevent this from happening to that one, too.

Some faint lines can just barely be seen where the screws were in my heel.  The x-rays just aren't as exciting without the screws!  LOL!  Sorry about the quality of these x-rays.  The computer in the room I was in wasn't working, so the tech took them for me on the Dr.'s terminal.  I'm lucky she was so nice!

Can't really see where the screw was in the side of my foot.  Guess that's a good thing!

Getting the stitches removed from the side of my foot.  Sutures were SO much easier to remove than the staples I  had in April.

The side incision without stitches.

4 comments:

  1. Hi - I am scheduled for this surgery in May and am scared! Was just wondering how you are doing now that you are a couple of years out. I need a light at the end of the tunnel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your doing well. I.had my PTTD.tendon.transfer on my left foot, on May.12, 2014.
      Doing well. All.done with splint, cast.and boot. No PT right now. Foot is stiff and.pain is on top where foot bends. Pain is bearable, but can't stand too long or walk too long.
      No osteotomy was done, just the tendon transfer (4.5" incision).
      However, I.got atelectasis from the anesthesia and now have (temporary, I hope) diaphramagtic paralysis, due to a compressed phrenic nerve.

      Delete
  2. There is no doubt that the recovery from this surgery is nothing to take lightly. The dysfunction I had in my foot was intolerable. I couldn't live that way. I felt I really needed to repair this tendon. After a couple of years of perspective, it scares me a bit to see how much trust I had in the doctor to do this correctly. I am so lucky that my foot is only stiff now, but fully functional with no pain. I am glad I had it done. I wear my orthotics faithfully and have hopes my right foot will not have to go through such trauma!

    Best of luck to you with your surgery. I hope you have a good team of family and friends around to help you through. It really does take a couple of years to get well again, so hang in there, don't get discouraged and let the healing process go as it must. I would love to hear about your progress. Post anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy I found your blog. Thank you for documenting your journey. I am scheduled for surgery on October 28th and your blog has really helped me. I am nervous, but at the same time ready to have everything repaired :)

    ReplyDelete