Search This Blog

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Progress?

Going back to work has been interesting for the foot.  So far, what I do to my foot at home (cleaning, shopping, puttering, etc.) has been much harder on it than work.  Of course, I haven't been doing much besides computer stuff so far at work.  I do still have a hard time with stairs.

Since I last posted, I have been feeling pain on the inside of my foot where I did before surgery.  I contacted the surgeon's office and they said as long as I haven't been jumping, running or anything else on it that is strenuous, it is highly unlikely that I have torn it again.  They said most likely it is physical therapy.  I am at the stage where she is giving me strengthening exercises and getting right into waking up those tendons.  So, it could be that.

I've also been getting a "walking on shards of glass" feeling under my foot in the middle toward the inside.  My PT said I really need arch support and gave me orthodics to pop into my shoes.  They took the shards of glass feeling away, and I wore them successfully for over a week.  Then, one day, the bottom outside of my foot started hurting REALLY bad, so I have taken them out of my shoes.

I skipped my exercises yesterday to give myself a break and found that my foot hurt MUCH worse not having stretched and warmed it up before taking shopping and cleaning around the house.  Interesting.

I have an appointment with the surgeon in mid-October.  He said to bring my orthodics and he will see if I need another pair of custom ones to support my other foot.  I REALLY don't want to have to do this surgery on my right foot, but it caves in badly.  So far, no pain in it.  I hope that will prevent it.  Interestingly, he said NOT to wear my orthodic in my reconstructed foot.  I wonder if the orthodics the PT gave me are OK or not?  Until then, I will ice, elevate and rest as much as I can, though it is getting harder and harder to carve out any time for rest.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I might be getting this surgery, so I'm very interested in your progress.
    Any updates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I'm not sure if you still check this blog, but I would love to know how you are doing a few years down the road. I am facing this surgery, and am terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing very well! My foot is only stiff at this point, but fully functional with no pain. Not sure I would be comfortable taking up running again, but I am happy doing other forms of exercise. It really does take a couple of years to get straightened around again. Don't get discouraged and let the healing process take its course. I would love to know how you are doing. Feel free to post back anytime! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, thanks for doing this blog. it has been great for me as it gives me an idea of what will be in store for me. i am going in for similar surgery as you have had on feb 9th and i am very worried about the whole thing. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite an endeavor. Best of luck to you! I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

      Delete