Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

The injury

I ruptured my left posterior tibial tendon back in October 2010 by sitting on it.  I've always had a habit of tucking my left foot up under me when I sat on it.  When I did it this one time, I heard and felt a pop and it was never the same.  I knew I had done something bad!  The injury was very debilitating.  Since it is the tendon that supports the arch of your foot, the arch fell (though I had flat, pronating feet anyway).  It was a strange injury as I could go up stairs pretty easily, but not down them.  Also couldn't go up on my tip-toes or stand on it by itself for very long.  I went to an orthopedic foot surgeon who had me try an air cast for a couple weeks and had custom orthodics made.  None of it worked.  It was still like a knife stabbing into the right side of my foot when I moved just right.  I only got a little swelling and virtually no bruising.  I knew I would like that fixed as soon as possible!

I did have x-rays that showed the misalignment of my foot, but no MRI to actually view the tendon. Here are a couple of weight bearing x-rays showing my flat foot and pronation.



It is my left foot that is injured though my right one isn't looking so hot either!

No comments:

Post a Comment