Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

8 week check up and cast off!! June 1, 2011

Oh my loving soul I couldn't wait for this day!  Get that cast OFF!!!!  They cut it off, examined the incisions (which were fine) and took more x-rays.  I couldn't straighten my leg, my knee hurt, my hip was messed up and I had no strength in my ankle/foot at all.  The Dr. set me up with a script for physical therapy (yup...gonna need that for sure!) and told me to wear the air cast until I felt strong enough to go without it.  It was sooo nice to not have ANYTHING on my foot at my discretion.

They did say I should take pain killers for this appointment as I'd be standing on it.  It wasn't too bad on the air cast, so I hobbled out with my walker. No more wheelchairs for me!!  The pain killers made me so sick though.  I wanted more than anything to take a real shower (after 8 weeks of sponge baths...phew!) and to shave the leg, but I was too busy vomiting and had to wait until the next day.  Needless to say, I didn't take any more pain killers and went with ibuprofen instead.

I felt I could ditch the air cast after 5 days, but none of my shoes fit, so I didn't have anything to wear but the cast!  I did an "emergency" trip to our local shoe store and they had some great New Balance sneakers that were fabric, not leather, that were flexible enough (and wide enough) to accommodate my foot and all the swelling.  I have dubbed the foot (and leg) to be called the "tree stump" as it feels so wide compared to my other foot.

The other thing that was quite shocking after I got my cast off was the skin.  When I finally did get a shower, the whole bottom of my foot literally fell off in my hands. ICK!  The rest of my foot and leg followed suit and peeled like crazy for about a week.  I couldn't believe how much skin was trapped in the cast for 8 weeks.  Wow!

Being June, the Dr. said to be careful not to sunburn my new incisions.  Never thought of that!  Glad they mentioned it.  I spent as many days out on the deck as I could when the sun came out as a break from the bed when I had the cast on.  I'd probably do the same thing without the cast.  I'm careful to cover all scars as much as possible.

Hair city!  YUCK!  But it was mine again and I could deal with that later.

My muscles had a hard time communicating with my brain.  They didn't know what to do with themselves without the support of the cast.  Freaky feeling!

Me and my x-ray.  I didn't bother to do my hair that day as I figured I could take a nice long, hot shower.  NOT!!
Thanks to my step mom for taking me to this appointment and taking photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment