Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Conflicting info

Dove into some photography this morning before the foot gave me troubles to make myself feel a bit better.

Monday, my foot hurt pretty bad.  My theory was that I walked on it too much on Sunday and the bandages were too tight and uncomfortable under my foot.  I called the Dr.'s office to see if I could take the bandages off, and the tech said that I could, but I HAD to replace it with another sterile cotton bandage (it didn't have to be as bulky) and that I must still wear the special shoe.  Ok.  Fine.  Then I asked her about all the pain I was experiencing and she said that my bones aren't supposed to move as they aggravate the stitches in the skin on top.  Oh.  Why didn't anyone tell me that post op???  Why did the discharge instructions say that I could be back to work in two days as pain and swelling allowed?  Why is everyone saying I'd walk out of there with a band aid and no problems?  She also said absolutely no physical therapy until after the stitches come out which is scheduled for the 27th of July.  Why didn't I get that message either?  I feel like this surgery is much more of a big deal than what everyone is saying with a bit more down time involved.  I felt like my freedom was slipping away.  I "gave up" the rest of the day, used my walker, babied it, stayed in bed and watched TV and read.  It felt much better in the morning, but is getting sore again as I walk around the house.  What is causing all this pain?  Mostly on the top of my foot.  I know now it isn't the screws!  My heel does feel better so far without the screws in.  At least I can tell that through the bandages.  I have come to find out that healing is a slow, slow process.  One that can't be rushed.  You are best off giving into it and letting your body heal without pushing.  Thank goodness I am a teacher and don't have to push to be back to work for another month and a half.  I don't think I could do it yet!  But another thought crossed my mind...maybe the hardware removal surgery happened too soon after my first surgery to correct my arch and I wasn't really healed from the first one.  Hard to say.  All I know is I can't wait now until the 27th to see what lies beneath the puff of cotton around my foot and what it really feels like walking again without it wrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment